Saturday, February 8, 2014

Fading West, But Not Fading Away

People have come and gone in my life. Relationships ended, friendships over, family done with..and through all of this, five guys that have made some of the most inspirational, true to life music, have never left me, and they don't even know it. Much like millions of other fans around the world, Switchfoot is a band that, to me, has had songs on every album that's resonated with me. It may not have been right when the album came out, and sometimes hit me later on, but songs like "Meant To Live" off of "The Beautiful Letdown" album, or "Shadow Proves The Sunshine" off "Nothing is Sound".

What makes this all the better, is that my fiancé, and soon to be wife, has given me one of the best surprises I could ever get: April 11th, at the Wiltern in Los Angeles, I'm going to see them for a now second time, but this time, I get to meet the band that has helped me get through breakups, questioning life and the mysteries it has, and more. Now, I get to thank them for being my favorite band, and for doing something a good amount of artists now don't do: play for love, heart and soul of music for the world.

Too many people get caught up with how music sounds, and how 'cool' it is. But if you listen to some artists out there, especially what's on the top forty, the lyrics aren't that deep. Most songs out there are cranked out just to make a profit and keep people hip and popular. The thing that Switchfoot does, and I HIGHLY recommend anyone watch their documentary Fading West to really get it, is that they question what's around them, and sing about it. They sing about things they're going through, that normal people are going through. It's life through music, and it's wonderful.

And, that's actually something I think the media in general needs to get back to doing. What happened to the shows like 'Andy Griffith show', where it gave you life lessons to follow? Even 'Boy Meets World'. That show was pivotal in my childhood because it showed how tough growing up can be, and that I wasn't alone with going through those problems. The list can go on though: Even Stevens,  Drake and Josh, etc. Shows like this, and music like Switchfoot need to be recognized more, because it's actual quality. It's something that the world needs a heavy dose of. Media is a powerful tool that can be used for good or bad, and if we preach that we need to make this world better, then why not use that tool to its maximum potential to make an impact? Switchfoot does. Boy Meets World was so good and impactful, they're bringing it back as Girl Meets World for a future generation. We need things like this, and more to impact our generations and let them know they aren't alone with the issues they face.


No comments:

Post a Comment